Wednesday, January 25, 2012

4 Followers!!!

Thank you to MaryEllen Belford and kwexi25 for doubling the numbers of followers on this blog!  Woo hoo!  :-)

Well, I think I've decided on my next blog post topic, but as I haven't written it yet, let me regale you with some James anecdotes.

1. Today, in the car with the radio on, James began exclaiming "Sing! Sing!"  He wanted me to sing to the song playing, as I had been doing, but I wasn't as familiar with the words, so I just started going "Doo doo doo" to the melody of the song.  But James kept saying "Sing!"  He wanted me to actually sing the words.  So when the chorus came on, I started singing the words, to which James encouraged me, exclaiming, "Yeah!  Go Mommy!"  I guess you had to be there, but it was pretty darn cute.

2.  This past Monday, James had a very exciting phone call on his play phone.  "HEY LEE!!! Grandpa? Yeah... Eating plantain chip!!! Bye!!"  I think that was the first intelligible conversation I've heard him do on his phone.

3.  My husband told me that last week, James played peek-a-boo with his man bits.  While laying on the changing table, James pushed his penis between his legs, then asked "Where penis go?" Then, he opened his legs, and exclaimed "There it is!!!"

4. James actually likes nap time - mostly because he still nurses to sleep.  Today, he proclaimed that it was naptime and crawled in bed to wait for me.  Then, he started making sleeping noises, pretending he was asleep!  So cute..

5.  Every time we get in the car, James asks if he can drive. :-) I think he thinks his legs will be long enough any day now. :-)

Hmmm...  I guess these tales probably aren't nearly as cute to non-relatives...  Oh well, at least I will have a record of his cute stories, which I should have been doing all along.  Feel free to skip over my James anecdotes if you wish.  :-)

I thought of another one.  After a diaper change, James stands up and takes my hands and dances and laughs so joyfully that I almost don't want him to be potty trained!  It's so sweet.  He is a very joyful two year old, and I think we'll have a lot to learn from him as he grows up.  This reminds me of a poem that I hated when I first read it a few years ago, but which now I can sort of understand...  The line from On Children, by Kahlil Gibran:

 "They come through you but not from you, And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.  You may give them your love but not your thoughts, For they have their own thoughts...You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you." 

I didn't get it before, and I still think that, as parents, we are responsible for guiding our children.  But there is something about it that rings true.  If we do our job as parents, to nurture and guide our children, then our children will eventually be the teachers, and we need to be open to that, in order for humanity to move forward...

Wow, this post got deeper than I originally intended.

Next blog post, possibly will be about spanking.  I recently witnessed a debate on Facebook about this topic.  There are still people that believe God actually wants us to spank our kids, and that failure to do so may actually stem from "not loving enough to spank."  Hmmm...

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment